Programs for People with Disabilities
NSF offers selective placement for persons with disabilities, including disabled veterans.
Our programs for people with disabilities include the following features:
- Special authorities are available for the non-competitive appointment of persons with severe physical and mental disabling conditions and for Veterans with a 30 percent or higher compensable service-connected disability.
- Appointments may be made on a temporary basis to demonstrate ability to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position.
- Candidates are usually certified for appointment by a counselor or State vocational rehabilitation agency or the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Upon completion of two years of satisfactory service, the employee may qualify for non-competitive conversion to a career or career-conditional appointment. Disabled veterans may be converted from a time-limited appointment of more than 60 days.
- Eligible candidates may apply for vacancy consideration regardless of closing date so long as the selection has not been made.
Recruiting sources include, but are not limited to USAJobs, State vocational rehabilitation agencies, colleges, Department of Veterans Affairs, talent bank, and advertisements.
Eligibility for program enrollment:
- Candidate must meet qualification requirements for the position.
- Candidate must have, when required, a statement from a State vocational rehabilitation agency or service certifying they have the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Disabled veterans must have received a discharge from active military service with a disability rating of 30 percent or more, or been rated by the Department of Veterans Affairs within the preceding year as having a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more.