Information for ECCS Panelists
Role of the Panel
The role of the panel is to provide guidance to the Program Director for pending recommendations.
Role of Panelists
The role of the lead reviewer is to lead the panel discussion about the proposal. The lead will summarize the proposal so that all panelists are briefed on the proposal contents. Following the summary, the lead presents a critical review of the proposal. Many times lead reviewers are also assigned to be the scribe.
The role of the scribe is to record the panel discussion for the proposal. The scribe is responsible for writing the panel summary for each proposal to which s/he is assigned scribe. Click to download Panel Summary guidelines and template.
The role of the other reviewers is to present an oral summary of their reviews.
Unassigned panelists are encouraged to contribute to the discussion of all proposals and may submit written reviews for any proposal, barring COI.
THROUGHOUT the review process
Conflict of Interest (COI)
PRIOR to arrival
Note: Panelists may submit written reviews for any proposal which they do not have a COI.
ARRIVAL at panel meeting
- Unless otherwise advised, panelists should make arrangements to arrive at the panel location by 8:15. Most panels begin promptly at 8:30.
- For panels held at NSF, panelists must present a photo ID at the front desk and acquire a temporary badge.
- Information for panels held at the FDIC building can be found here.
- Computers are available for panelist use. If you wish to bring a personal laptop, please read the NSF Laptop policy.
DURING the panel meeting
AFTER the panel meeting
- Complete sign-in and COI forms.
- For panelists who drove to the meeting, complete the POV form for mileage reimbursement.
- Log in to the Interactive Panel system.
- Each proposal is discussed and critiqued thoroughly by all members of the panel.
- Write, submit, and approve the Panel Summary. Please read and use the Panel Summary guidelines and template (doc)
- Panel gives recommendation to Program Director.
- Please complete the panelist survey.
- Destroy personal materials related to proposals or panel discussions. Electronic copies should be eliminated from computers and hardcopies shredded.
- If applicable, return security badges.
- Reimbursement will be either a) directly deposited (panelists with SSN)
or b) mailed (panelists without SSN).
Travel, Lodging, Transportation, and Reimbursement (pdf)
Volunteer to be a Reviewer
NSF Merit Review Home