Phase IIB proposals MUST be submitted using FastLane. The Phase IIB proposal shall not exceed 15 pages. The additional work proposed should be an expansion of the technical work being performed in the Phase II project and must fall within the scope of the present Phase II project. The proposal will contain the following:
The following sections count toward the 15 pages:
- An Executive Summary of the Commercialization Plan
- A discussion of the "New" R&D Activities (including how the third-party funding will be used to accelerate and/or expand commercialization
- A summary of the third party investment
The following sections do not count toward the 15 pages:
- Executed third party documentation for the investment match for Phase IIB SBIR funding
- An updated milestone chart reflecting the additional year of effort.
- A new Certificate of Current Cost Pricing Data
- A new budget for the portion of the funds requested from NSF for the Phase IIB project and budget line item justification
The following are the steps for preparing the proposal using the FastLane system.
- Go to the FastLane Home Page (www.fastlane.nsf.gov)
- Select the "Proposals, Awards, & Status" link
- Provide "Log in" information
- Select Award and Reporting Functions
- The next screen provides you with 6 Award and Reporting Functions.
Select: "Supplemental Funding Request"
- A List of Current Awards appears; highlight the award that you wish to prepare the supplement for; select: "Prepare Supplemental Funding Request.
- The next screen Request for Supplemental Funding appears showing all the supplemental funding requests created for this award. Click on "Create New Supplemental Funding Request".
- The Form Preparation Screen Appears (also note the supplemental request has a temporary proposal number assigned). Prepare the selected supplement using the "GO" buttons. The following information MUST be provided for each "GO Button":
Summary of Proposed Work
- Executive Summary of the Commercialization
- "New" R&D Activities Proposed
Justification for Supplement
- Upload the "Executed Third-Party Documentation, Purchase Orders, Licensing Agreements, etc.
Upload the following documents (combine the two word documents and upload as one file). The Word templates for the Milestone Chart and the Certificate of Current Cost Pricing Data can be found at: http://www.nsf.gov/eng/sbir/forms.jsp
- New Milestone Chart
- Certificate of Current Cost Pricing Data
- SBIR/STTR Funding Agreement Certification OR a statement that "The certifications made under the Phase II award remain true and current, and the signed Funding Agreement Certification for the Phase II award is located in the correspondence section of award XXXXXXX."
- A statement that "The budget rates in the Phase IIB budget are identical or lower than those in the Phase II budget approved by NSF."
Revised Expiration Date:
Add 12 months (or 24 months for a Phase IIB over $250,000) to your current expiration date
Budgets (including Justification)
Prepare new budget for the Phase IIB activities (only the NSF funding). Make sure to budget one or two trips to the SBIR/STTR Phase II Grantees Conference depending on the length of the grant extension. Provide complete line item justification for ALL budget items The budget justification must include a statement that all budgeted rates do not exceed the rates awarded under the Phase II grant. Rates include salaries, indirect costs, fringe benefits, overhead, G&A, unit cost rates, etc.
Add/Delete Non Co-PI Senior Personnel
Use this module if personnel for the Phase IIB activities will change from the present Phase II project
- Complete all required forms and then click on "Go Back"
- At the "Request for Supplemental Funding" screen click on "Allow SRO Access"
- At the "Sponsored Research Office (SRO) Access Control" screen, select "Allow SRO to view, edit and submit proposal"
- A confirmation message stating that the SRO has access to the proposal will appear.
- To actually submit the Phase IIB proposal the following steps will need to be performed. This can only be done by the individual that the company has designated as the "Authorized Organizational Representative"
- Go to the FastLane Home Page.
- Select from the"Research Administration"tab
- Provide Log in information.
- From "Research Administration Functions" select the Submit Proposals to NSF GO button
- In the Proposals in Progress Window, select "Submit"
If you have problems or questions please contact the NSF FastLane Help Desk at 1-800-673-6188. Make sure to inform the Help Desk that you are submitting a Supplemental Funding Request.