OPP 10-001 December 2009
Support Operations, 2009-2010
- Ships (research and support)
- RV Nathaniel B. Palmer, length 94 meters, icebreaker, purpose-built in 1992 for long-term charter to U.S. Antarctic Program.1 The ship supports research throughout the Southern Ocean the year-round.
- RV Laurence M. Gould, 71 meters, ice-strengthened, purpose-built in 1997 for long-term charter to U.S. Antarctic Program (replaces RV Polar Duke, chartered 1984-1997). Year-round research and Palmer Station support.2
- Oden, 107.8 meters, Swedish Maritime Administration with the annual summer channel break-in to McMurdo and escort of the Tern and the tanker.3
- American Tern, 159 meters, Military Sealift Command chartered ice-classed cargo ship.4 Annual cargo delivery to and waste retrograde from McMurdo.
- Tanker, Military Sealift Command (MSC) chartered. Annual fuel delivery to McMurdo.
- Runways (wheeled operations near McMurdo)
- Pegasus (78°S), prepared glacial ice; previously not used in the warmer summer months, this runway was groomed for year-round use in 2001.
- Skiways (ski operations only)
- Williams Field (78°S), near McMurdo, available year-round
- South Pole (90°S)
- Open field (various locations)