STAFF > Samir El-Ghazaly
Dr. Samir M. El-Ghazaly currently serves as the Director of the Division of Electrical, Communications and Cyber Systems (ECCS) at the National Science Foundation. He is also a Distinguished Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Arkansas.
Dr. El-Ghazaly received his Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering in 1988 from The University of Texas at Austin. After graduation, he joined Arizona State University as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering, where he became Associate Professor in 1993 and Professor in 1998. From August 2002 to July 2007, he was with The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, as Professor and Head of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
He trained and worked at several universities and research centers including Cairo University; the Centre Hyperfrequences et Semiconducteurs at Université de Lille I in France; NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, California; CST-Motorola, Inc.; IEMN, Université de Lille, France; and the Swiss Federal Research Institute (ETH). His research interests include nanotechnology devices, microwave and millimeter-wave semiconductor devices and circuits, semiconductor device simulations, electromagnetics, antennas, and numerical techniques applied to monolithic microwave integrated circuits.
Dr. El-Ghazaly is a Fellow of IEEE and has served on multiple committees and editorial boards:
- Chairman of Commissions A and D of the US National Committee of URSI. He was an elected member of the Administrative Committee of the IEEE Microwave Theory & Techniques Society (2001-1013).
- Editor-in-Chief for the IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters.
- Chairman of MTT-15 Committee on Field Theory.
- General Chairman of the IEEE MTT-S 2001 International Microwave Symposium, which was held in Phoenix, Arizona, May 2001.
- Chairman of the IEEE MTT-S Publications Committee (2004-2008).
- 2010 President of the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society.
- Chair of the IEEE-Technical Activities Board's Periodicals Committee (2012 & 2013).
- Vice Chair of the IEEE Publications Services and Products Board (2013).
Dr. El-Ghazaly currently serves as the Chair of the IEEE-TAB Periodical Review and Advisory Committee (PRAC) and Vice Chair of the IEEE MTT-S Awards Committee (2013 to date).