Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Zion United Church of Christ in Allentown, Pa., was a refuge for the Liberty Bell after the British forces occupied Philadelphia in September 1777. The Bell was sent out of the city to prevent the occupying forces from destroying it. Hidden in the wagon of a farmer returning from Philadelphia the Liberty Bell was brought to the church by John Jacob Mickley and Frederick Leaser. Along with other Bells removed from the city, the Liberty Bell was hidden by the pastor, Reverend Abraham Blumer, beneath the floorboards of the church. There they stayed until the British left Philadelphia in the latter part of 1778, when they were returned to their rightful places.
** Photo Credit: Peter West, National Science Foundation
Click Here for a high resolution image (2.4 MB, 2000 x 3008)