APPENDIX C - DEFINITIONS OF CATEGORIES OF PERSONNEL
The personnel categories listed on parts A and B of the Proposal Budget are defined as follows:
A. SENIOR PERSONNEL
1. (co) Principal Investigator(s) -- the individual(s) designated by the
grantee and approved by NSF who will be responsible for the scientific or technical direction
of the project. If more than one, the first one listed will have primary responsibility for the
project and the submission of reports.
2. Faculty Associate (faculty member) -- an individual other than the Principal
Investigator(s) considered by the performing institution to be a member of its faculty or who
holds an appointment as a faculty member at another institution, and who will participate in
the project being supported.
B. OTHER PERSONNEL
1. Postdoctoral Associate -- an individual who received a Ph.D., M.D., D.Sc.
or equivalent degree less than five years ago, who is not a member of the faculty at the
performing institution, and who is not reported under Senior Personnel above.
2. Other Professional -- a person who may or may not hold a doctoral degree or its
equivalent, who is considered a professional and is not reported as a Principal Investigator,
faculty associate, postdoctoral associate or student. Examples of persons included in this
category are doctoral associates not reported under B1, professional technicians, physicians,
veterinarians, system experts, computer programmers and design engineers.
3. Graduate Student (research assistant) -- a part-time or full-time student working on
the project in a research capacity who holds at least a bachelor's degree and is enrolled in a
degree program leading to an advanced degree.
4. Undergraduate Student -- a student who is enrolled in a degree program (part-time or
full-time) leading to a bachelor's or associate's degree.
5. & 6. These categories include persons working on the project in a non-research capacity,
such as secretaries, clerk-typists, draftsmen, animal caretakers, electricians and custodial
personnel regardless of whether they hold a degree or are involved in degree work.
Any personnel category for which NSF funds are requested must indicate, in the parentheses
provided on the Proposal Budget, the number of persons expected to receive some support from
those funds and, where called for in the budget format, person-months to the nearest tenth.