Dear Colleague Letter - Division of Financial Management, Office of Budget, Finance, and Award
Management (BFA) - Employment Opportunities for Senior Operating Accountant Position
Date: September 4, 2012
The Office of Budget, Finance, and Award Management (BFA), Division of Financial Management (DFM) of
the National Science Foundation (NSF) announces an opportunity for an individual, with demonstrated
experience in grant financial management to assist DFM's Cash Management Branch (CMB), Grantee Cash
Management Section (GCMS) in strengthening NSF's financial monitoring capabilities and in implementing the
new Award Cash Management Service (ACMS) - NSF's new approach to award payments.
GCMS has the primary responsibility for managing NSF's award payment and awardee financial reporting
requirements. Additionally, GCMS conducts project management activities for the NSF Financial Functions
hosted on Research.gov and FastLane. The incumbent will work closely with BFA staff, NSF Program
Managers and other NSF staff responsible for the management and oversight of NSF programs. Additionally,
the incumbent will be responsible for advising NSF staff and NSF awardees on the financial requirements of NSF awards.
Applicants should have a degree in a business related field or equivalent training. They should also have a
broad knowledge of financial management and accounting with experience in a position entailing management
responsibility for either grant accounting or financial management activities.
Duties will include
- Assist with the development of new information technology applications and enhancements to existing
systems to include the development, testing, and implementation of the ACM$.
- Coordinate with the Division of Grants and Agreements, NSF Program Offices, and grant recipients in all
matters involving the financial activities of the section.
- Make on-site visits to award recipient institutions to advise and coordinate the fiscal aspects of the various
programs financed through NSF, and maintain liaison with NSF management officials having direct interface with
- Assist in resolving difficult and unique accounting and financial management issues that can involve complex
technical and managerial solutions.
- Assist in the development and design of management controls in support of internal and external audit functions.
- Analyze award payment processes and awardee financial information and provide guidance regarding the resolution of problems and business process issues.
- Work with the GCMS Section Head and CMB Chief to resolve daily operational issues in order to improve efficiency and responsiveness of business systems and processes.
- Assist with the training of staff within the section and other NSF divisions. Report on the performance, progress and training needs of the staff to the GCMS Section Head.
- Assist in the review of the work of other accountants for completeness, quality, and timeliness; distributes and balances the workload.
- Act as liaison with the Department of the Treasury and award recipient organizations in resolving problems associated with electronic funds transfer mechanisms.
The position recruited under this announcement will be filled under the Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA).
Individuals eligible for an IPA assignment with a Federal agency include employees of State and local government
agencies or institutions of higher education, Indian tribal governments, and other eligible organizations in instances
where such assignments would be of mutual benefit to the organizations involved. Initial assignments under IPA
provisions may be made for a period up to two years, with a possible extension for up to an additional two-year
period. The individual remains an employee of the home institution and NSF provides funding toward the assignee's
salary and benefits. Initial IPA assignments are made for a one-year period and may be extended by mutual agreement.
The duty station for this position is the National Science Foundation in Arlington, Virginia.
For additional information on NSF's rotational programs, please see "Programs for Scientists, Engineers and Educators" on the NSF website at http://www.nsf.gov/about/career_opps/rotators/index.jsp.
The desired starting date for the position is negotiable. Formal consideration of applications will begin on
September 10, 2012 and will continue until a selection is made.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae or resume to:
Richard A. Noll
Chief, Cash Management Branch, Division of Financial Management
Office of Budget, Finance, and Award Management
National Science Foundation
4201 Wilson Boulevard, Suite II-605
Arlington, Virginia 22230
Applications may also be submitted by email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the
email should be:
DFM Senior Operating Accountant Dear Colleague Letter.
NSF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO EMPLOYING
A HIGHLY QUALIFIED STAFF THAT REFLECTS THE DIVERSITY OF OUR NATION