- Academic Institution Profiles
- This interactive website provides access to selected data on the number of earned doctorates, number of graduate students and postdoctorates in science and engineering, total federal obligations, and total R&D expenditures by individual U.S. academic institutions. Academic Institution Profiles also includes rankings of institutions by four selected variables. Data come from four NCSES surveys: the Higher Education R&D Survey; the Survey of Earned Doctorates; the Survey of Federal Science and Engineering Support to Universities, Colleges and Nonprofit Institutions; and the Survey of Graduate Students and Postdoctorates in Science and Engineering. Data cover the most recent 10 years and are available for download.
- Federal Funds for R&D
- This series reviews current and historical trends in Federal obligations and funding for research and development in science and engineering.
- Federal R&D Funding by Budget Function
- This series presents information on Federal funding of research and development (R&D) and the R&D plant components of agency programs. The R&D data are classified into Federal budget function categories, such as defense, health, space, and energy.
- Federal S&E Support to Universities, Colleges, and NPOs
- This series provides data and analyses on Federal science and engineering support to universities, colleges, and nonprofit institutions.
- Master Government List of Federally Funded R&D Centers
- This series presents the master government list of federally funded research and development centers. The most recent Master Government List of FFRDCs can be found at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/ffrdclist/.
- National Patterns of R&D Resources
- This series present trend data on the overall R&D effort in the U.S. Information includes R&D expenditures by source of funds, sector of performance, S&E employed in R&D, and international comparisons.
- R&D Expenditures at Federally Funded R&D Centers
- This publication series includes current and historical trends in research and development expenditures at federally funded research and development centers (FFRDCs). Previous year tables can be found in the Academic R&D Expenditures reports series at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/rdexpenditures/.
For data on Federal research and development obligations and funding to FFRDCs see the Federal Funds for R&D report series at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/fedfunds/. The most recent Master Government List of FFRDCs can be found at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/ffrdclist/.
- Science and Engineering State Profiles
- State Profiles is an interactive website providing access to state-level data on science and engineering personnel and finances and state rankings. State Profiles displays up to 10 state profiles of the user’s choice. Data are available from NSF-sponsored surveys on employed science, engineering, or health (SEH) doctorate holders; science and engineering (S&E) doctorates awarded, including by major S&E fields; SEH graduate students and postdoctorates; federal R&D obligations by agency and performer; total and industrial R&D expenditures; and academic R&D expenditures, including by major S&E fields. Data available from other sources include population, civilian labor force, per capita personal income, federal expenditures, patents, small business innovation research awards, and gross domestic product. All data are available for download. Data cover 2003 to present.
- Science and Technology Pocket Data Book
- This series provides a reference to selected data series of the Science and Engineering Indicators report. It provides both charts and tables, and complements past Science and Engineering Indicators reports.
- SESTAT: Characteristics of Scientists and Engineers in the United States
- Tabular data, generated from the SESTAT data system, provides a profile the U.S. science and engineering workforce. The tabulations include characteristics of all U.S. scientists and engineers (S&E), employed S&E, and salaries information for S&E. Data are presented by degree field and occupation, and by characteristics such as sex, race/ethnicity, age and citizenship.
Federal Government: Research and Development
Can't find what you're looking for? Search NCSES or Browse the Publication IndexLast Updated: October 22, 2013