- Academic R&D Expenditures
- This series reviews trends in research and development expenditures within academia and federally funded R&D centers in the United States and outlying areas.
NOTE: The Survey of Research and Development Expenditures at Universities and Colleges collected data for 1972–2009. For current data see the Higher Education Research and Development (HERD) series.
- Business and Industrial R&D
- This series reviews trends in research and development activities of the U.S. business sector. Since 2008, these data have been collected by the Business R&D and Innovation Survey (BRDIS), successor to the Survey of Industrial Research and Development. See about BRDIS for more information on this survey.
Learn about a project that links data from these business and industrial R&D surveys to data from international investment surveys.
- Federal Funds for R&D
- This series reviews current and historical trends in Federal obligations and funding for research and development in science and engineering.
- Higher Education Research and Development (HERD)
- This series provides current and historical trends on the amounts and types of research and development activities at U.S. colleges and universities. Beginning with 2010, data are collected using the Higher Education R&D (HERD) Survey, successor to the Survey of R&D Expenditures at Universities and Colleges.
NOTE: Tables from previous years can be found in the Academic R&D Expenditures series.
- National Patterns of R&D Resources
- This series presents trend data on the overall research and development effort in the United States. Information includes R&D expenditures by sector of performance, source of funds, character of R&D work, R&D-to-GDP ratios, and international comparisons.
- R&D Expenditures at Federally Funded R&D Centers
- This publication series includes current and historical trends in research and development expenditures at federally funded research and development centers (FFRDCs). Previous year tables can be found in the Academic R&D Expenditures reports series at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/rdexpenditures/.
For data on Federal research and development obligations and funding to FFRDCs see the Federal Funds for R&D report series at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/fedfunds/. The most recent Master Government List of FFRDCs can be found at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/ffrdclist/.
- State Government Research and Development
- Data on R&D activity performed and funded by each of the nation's 50 states and the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
Research and Development: Expenditures
Can't find what you're looking for? Search NCSES or Browse the Publication IndexLast Updated: July 21, 2014