Federal Funds Survey, Detailed Historical Tables, Fiscal Years 1951-97
To provide data users with the most timely data possible, these historical data tables are being released several months earlier than last year's printed report and will only be available via the World Wide Web. The statistics in the tables are considered final and are not expected to be revised.
These tabulations result from NSF's Survey of Federal Funds for Research and Development, Volume 45, for fiscal years 1995-97, and from earlier surveys in this series. (See also Federal Funds for Research and Development: Fiscal Years 1995, 1996, and 1997, Volume 45 (NSF-97-327)). Totals in these tables are given in both outlays and obligations. The R&D obligations data are further categorized according to character of work (basic research, applied research, and development), performer, field of science or engineering (for research but for development), and Federal R&D funding by State. Obligations for research performance at universities and colleges by fields of science or engineering are also shown, as are R&D plant data.
The following tables are available in Portable Document Format (.pdf).
See Help for more information about viewing files in different formats.
- Summary of Federal ObligationsAgency, Character of Work, and Performer (125K)
- Research, Development, and R&D PlantOutlays and Obligations, By Agency (285K)
- Research and DevelopmentAgency and Performer (232K)
- Total ResearchAgency, Performer, and Field of Science and Engineering (280K)
- Basic ResearchAgency, Performer, and Field of Science and Engineering (178K)
- Applied ResearchAgency, Performer, and Field of Science and Engineering (279K)
- DevelopmentAgency and Performer (206K)
- Geographic DistributionResearch and Development, R&D Plant, Performer and Agency (120K)
- Research Performed at Universities and CollegesAgency and Field of Science and Engineering (49K)