- Data shown reflect all corrections for earlier years received from the participating departments and agencies as of October 1993.
- From time to time, names of agencies change, and when this occurs, footnotes identify the changes.
- The abbreviation "FFRDCs" appearing in statistical tables refers to Federally Funded Research and Development Centers.
- In tables showing extramural performers, obligations of the Department of Agriculture to agricultural experiment stations are included within
obligations to universities and colleges.
- Defense agencies within the Department of Defense include: Advanced Research Projects Agency, Ballistic Missile Defense Organization, Defense Information Systems Agency, Defense Logistics Agency, Defense Mapping Agency, Defense Nuclear Agency,
Joint Chiefs of Staff, Special Operations Command, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, and Washington Headquarters Service.