The 1993 Survey of Academic Research Instruments and Instrumentation Needs was directed by Carolyn B. Arena, Senior Science Resources Analyst, Education and Human Resources Program (EDU), Division of Science Resources Studies (SRS), National Science Foundation (NSF), who worked under the overall direction of Mary J. Golladay, EDU Program Director. General guidance and review was also provided by John E. Jankowski, Jr., R&D Statistics (RDS) Program Director.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) provided significant financial support of the survey, and Paul Seder, Office of Science Policy and Legislation, provided guidance and review of the survey program.
Quantum Research Corp. (QRC) of Bethesda, MD, conducted the 1993 survey (NSF contract number SRS 92--12615) under the direction of Thomas L. Trumble, Project Director. Other QRC staff members who worked on this project include George Nozicka, Corporate Officer-in-Charge; Attessa Shahmirzadi, Deputy Project Director; Mary-Jean Clements, Statistician-Programmer; Cynthia R. Wallin, Programmer; Weizheng Xiao, Statistician-Programmer; Luz Tatum, Data Collection Coordinator; Claude Monahan, Data Collection Technician; and Elizabeth H. Peto, Publications Manager.
Carolyn B. Arena was the principal author of this report. Guidance and review were provided by Jeanne E. Griffith, Director, SRS; Alan R. Tupek, Deputy Director, SRS; and Bennett I. Bertenthal, Assistant Director of the Directorate for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBE). Anne M. Houghton, SRS Publications Manager, conducted the editorial review. Technical assistance was given by Carolyn F. Shettle and Steven Payson of SRS, and John W. Cross, of the Directorate for Biological Sciences (BIO).
Charles L. Coulter of the National Center for Research Resources, NIH, provided review and comments for the report. Report review and comments at NSF were provided by Ann T. Lanier, Rolf F. Lehming, Steven Payson, and Carolyn F. Shettle of SRS; Nathaniel G. Pitts of the Office of Science and Technology Infrastructure (OSTI); and Richard S. Hirsh of the Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE).
An expert advisory panel gave overall direction for the redesign of the 1993 survey questionnaire and provided comments and review of the survey's final reports. The members of this panel were:
- James Adams, Chairman, Department of Natural Science, University of Maryland, Eastern Shore
- Dennis Barnes, President, Southeastern Universities Research Association, Washington, DC
- Vaughn Blankenship, Professor of Political Science, Institute of Government and Public Affairs, University of Illinois, Chicago
- Fred Jones, Dean, School of Graduate Studies and Research, Meharry Medical College
- Mary Nunn, Sponsored Programs Officer, Oregon State University
- Aihud Pevsner, Professor of Physics and Astronomy, The Johns Hopkins University
- Carla Rafetto, Senior MIS Analyst-Information Systems, University of California System
- Warren Thomas, Manager, Department of Earth and Space Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles
- Raymond Uliassi, Operations Analyst, Division of the Biological Sciences and Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago
Finally, we acknowledge the indispensable contribution of the coordinators at each of the 79 institutions and the more than 10,000 officials and staff members who undertook the completion of the survey questionnaires; without them, none of the reports would have been possible.