Visitors with Special Needs
To request accommodations for visitors with disabilities, or additional information, please contact the Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) at 703-292-8020. Requests by e-mail should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NSF visitors and meeting participants should submit requests for the following accommodations at least 10-14 business days in advance of their visit to NSF in order to allow sufficient time for coordination/development.
NSF can provide accommodations such as:
- Sign language interpreting and Real Time Captioning (CART)
- Assistance setting up laptop/computer with JAWS (speech recognition software)
- Alternatively formatted (Braille, electronic text, large print) meeting documents. Translations to Braille require at least four (4) weeks advance notice.
- Guide/escort support from the Ballston Metro stop to NSF or from NSF's main entrance to the meeting room
- Sensitivity to certain chemicals, fragrances, odors, etc. that are easily controlled by the host meeting organizer
- Use of a computer or laptop equipped with assistive technology such as screen reader and screen magnification or ergonomic keyboard
- Service animal relief locations
- Special instructions for navigating the Metro subway system (requires coordination with WMATA/Metro)
- Assistive listening device systems for use by persons who are hearing impaired
NSF has accessible building entrances and accessible conference rooms.
NSF's web sites provide accessible electronic and information technology (E&IT) in compliance with Section 508. However, visitors who experience difficulty accessing E&IT, should contact the NSF webmaster at email@example.com to resolve accessibility issues or obtain web site documents in accessible formats.
We encourage that all visitors voluntarily register for NSF's Emergency Preparedness Assistance for Individuals with Disability Registry. NSF is committed to assisting and ensuring the safety of persons with disabilities during an emergency, while allowing staff and visitors to maintain their dignity and self-reliance. We ask that visitors evaluate their capabilities, limitations and needs for assistance in an emergency and e-mail the NSF ODI, at firstname.lastname@example.org at least five (5) business days prior to visiting NSF to authorize ODI to provide the Division of Administrative Services (DAS) with their name, arrival date, meeting room number and location, telephone and emergency contact numbers and the appropriate assistance they require due to a disability or medical condition. It is important all requested information be provided along with the authorization.
Information contained in the Emergency Preparedness Assistance for Individuals with Disability Registry will remain confidential.