Resources for Government

Skip to Content
Federal government agencies, Federally Funded Research and Development Centers (FFRDC) and National Laboratories can become IUCRC members with the same rights and responsibilities as corporate members. However, to ensure that IUCRC research remains pre-competitive, federal entities may not use the IUCRC to conduct contractual research. Members of an IUCRC:
  • Hold a seat on the Industry Advisory Board (IAB);
  • Vote on the IUCRC research portfolio;
  • Define, direct and fund the research portfolio and monitor research progress; and,
  • Determine how a center is governed by developing and approving center bylaws.

IUCRC members do not perform research. Per the Bayh-Dole Act (P.L. 96-517, Patent and Trademark Act Amendments of 1980), federal government entities retain a non-exclusive license.

Read a full description of rights and responsibilities in the IUCRC solicitation, the center requirements and sample membership agreement.


  1. Use the IUCRC Directory to search for active centers and relevant center personnel.
  2. Contact the IUCRC center director to determine:
    1. Membership fee;
    2. Governance of the center as spelled out in the center bylaws; and
    3. The research focus of the center.
  3. Use one of the following three methods to become an IUCRC member:
    Option 1: Signing the membership agreement with the indemnification clause K for governmental entities.

    Option 2: Filing form 1449 "Solicitation/Contract/Order for Commercial Items" where "Schedule of supplies/services" is limited to the rights and responsibilities of members in IUCRC. See an example of form 1449 for IUCRC membership.

    Option 3: Transferring the IUCRC membership fees via the NSF through an Interagency Agreement (IAA) or Military Interdepartmental Purchase Request (MIPR). NSF is authorized to deduct 6.68% (based on the total transaction) for administrative cost recovery for FY 2020 until further notice. See instructions for processing IAA and MIPR.

The NSF IUCRC Interagency Team ( is available to help process Interagency Agreements (IAAs) or Military Interdepartmental Purchase Requests (MIPRs). All other questions must be directed to the IUCRC center director and the university's administrative offices.