Skip to Content
Principal Investigator (PI) Change Instructions
Preparing a PI Change Request for SBIR/STTR Projects:
From the FastLane Homepage (http://www.fastlane.nsf.gov); select "Proposals, Awards, & Status" link (found on the left hand-side of the web page).
- Enter your login information and press "Login" (Last Name, SSN, and Password).
- The Principal Investigator (PI)/Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) Management screen appears; select "Award and Reporting Functions" option from the menu.
- The next screen provides Awards & Reporting Function options. Select "Notifications and Requests" option.
- Select the appropriate award number from the drop down list and click the “Prepare” New button.
- The Notifications and Requests screen appears for the select award. This screen should at the top show your Award Information. Scroll down to the Types of Grantee Request (Need NSF Approval).
- The "Change of PI" screen will appear.
- Enter the SSN of PI in the box under the label “Proposed SSN#” and then click the Check button (Proposed PI must be FastLane registered. The system will fill in the name of the PI for that SSN).
- Once the PI’s name has been filled in the box, the Biographical Sketch and Current & Pending Support sections will become active. Upload the appropriate documents. Once the bios and support documents have been uploaded, the justification section will become active. Enter in the appropriate information.
- Click “Save”
- After clicking Save, the buttons at the bottom of the screen should become active allowing the following actions: Modify Request; Delete Request; Cancel and Forward to SPO.
- Click “Forward to SPO” to submit to NSF.
- Prepare your justification based on the requirements of the Grant Proposal Guide (GPG), below is the exert from the GPG:
- In the event the grantee desires to continue the project with a substitute PI/PD, the Authorized Organizational Representative should advise the NSF Program Officer of the substitute PI/PD's name, qualifications, and current and pending support for research from all sources. The recommended substitute PI/PD shall countersign the notification letter to the NSF Program Officer from the Authorized Organizational Representative nominating the substitute PI/PD. If approved by NSF, the Grants Officer will amend the grant. If not approved, NSF may take steps, pursuant to GPM 910, "Suspension and Termination Procedures," to suspend or terminate the grant.
- Complete the following fields:
- Proposed PI SSN: Type the Social Security Number of the "new" PI. Click on the "Check PI" button to verify the new PI SSN. If correct, the name appears.
- Effective Date: Type the effective date in mm/dd/yyyy format.
- Justification for Request: Type (or cut and paste) the reason for the Change of PI request.
- Biographical Sketch File Location: Type in the name and location of the file on the screen. If you do not know the location of the file, click on the "Browse . . ." button. The "File Upload" window appears. Click on the file to be uploaded to select it and click on the "Open" button. The screen re-appears with the filename and path. Click on the "Upload File" button.
- The "PDF Conversion/Compliance Check" screen appears. When the upload is completed, the "File Successfully Converted/Checked" screen appears. Click on the "Proofread PDF" button. A new window appears with the converted PDF document.
- After reviewing this document for accuracy, close this window. The "Proofreading Complete" screen appears. If this PDF document is not correct, click on the "Cancel" button. If this PDF document is correct, click on the "Save" button.
To Forward Change of PI Request from PI to SRO:
- Click on the “Forward to SRO” to submit the request. The “Change of PI Request Verification” screen appears.
- Click “Forward to SPO” again to confirm the action.
- A message appears “F O R W A R D E D”
- Forwarded Add Co-PI/Change of PI/Co-PI to SPO
- Award #: XXXXXXX
- The Request for a Add Co-PI/Change of PI/Co-PI has been successfully Forwarded to SPO.
- Click on the “Search Prepared by PI List” to return to the Notifications and Requests Screen.
Logging into Fastlane SRO Functions:
- From the FastLane Homepage (http://www.fastlane.nsf.gov); select “Research Administration” link (found on the left hand-side of the web page).
- SRO enters login information (i.e. Last Name, SSN, Password, and select “Research Administration Functions” radio button); click on the “Login” button. The “Research Administration” screen appears.
- Select “Notifications and Requests”. (A screen will appear with (3) tabs – Forwarded by PI, Prepared by SPO and Submitted to NSF.
- The forwarded-by PI tab automatically appears first. On the lower portion of the screen should be a row of information which begins with an award number, PI name, etc.
- To review the request information, simply click on any of the words in the row.
To Forward Change of PI Request from SRO to NSF:
- At the end of the row there will be Submit and Delete links. Click Submit to send to NSF.
- Click on the “Sign and Submit” button to approve the change. The “Change of PI Request – Verification” screen appears.
- Click on the “Go Back Notifications and Requests” button to return to the “Notifications and Requests” screen.
- Final step is to email an updated milestone chart to the NSF Program Manager.
If you have problems or questions contact the FastLane Help Desk at 800-673-6188.
|Any opinions, findings, conclusions or recommendations presented in this material are only those of the presenter grantee/researcher, author, or agency employee; and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.