Critical Zone Observatories Program: Additional Information
Links to Additional Resources
Additional initiatives and recommendations regarding critical zone process research may be found in a variety of locations, including organizations with National Science Foundation support. Findings, recommendations and reports from these organizations may prove useful for proposal planning with information germane to critical zone processes and environmental observatories. A listing of some of these reports of community workshops/plans follows:
- Banwart, Steven, 2012, Design of Global Environmental Gradient Experiments using International Networks of Critical Zone Observatories, International Critical Zone Observatory Joint Workshop, 9th-11th November 2011, EC SoilTrEC Project and NSF Critical Zone Observatory Programme, 33 pp.
- Brantley, Susan L. et al., 2017, Designing a network of critical zone observatories to explore the living skin of the terrestrial Earth, Earth Surface Dynamics, doi 10.5194/esurf-2017-36
- Brantley, Susan L, et al, 2016, Designing a suite of measurements to understand the critical zone, Earth Surface Dynamics, doi 10.5194/esurf-4-211-2016
- Freeman, Katherine and Goldhaber, Martin, 2011, Future Directions in Geobiology and Low-Temperature Geochemistry, A report based on presentations and discussions by participants of the Future Directions in Geobiology and Low-Temperature Geochemistry Workshop, 27-28 August 2010, 20 pp.
- Grant, Gordon E and Dietrich, William E., 2017, The frontier beneath our feet, Water Resources Research, doi 10.1002/2017WR020835.
- NRC, 2012, New Research Opportunities in the Earth Sciences, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C. 118 pp., http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13236
- NRC, 2012, Challenges and Opportunities in the Hydrologic Sciences, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C. 162 pp., http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13293
- NRC, 2010, Landscapes on the Edge: New Horizons for Research on the Earth's Surface, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C. 164 pp., http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12700
- NSF, 2013, Discoveries in the Critical Zone: where life meets rock, CZO Discovery Articles, National Science Foundation, 33 p.
- NSF Critical Zone Observatory Program: Network Reverse Site Visit Report, November 14-15, 2016
- Sullivan, Pamela L, Wymore, Adam et al., 2017, Poised to predict critical-zone structure, dynamics, and evolution, Report of the 2017 Critical Zone Observatories All-Hands Meeting, Arlington, VA, June 2-4, 2017