Text-only | Flash Special Report
Jellyfish Gone Wild
Enviromental Change and Jellyfish Swarms
1. 1/3 of the total weight of all life in Monterey Bay is from gelatinous animals.
2. 3 minutes after a person is stung by a deadly box jellyfish, s/he may be dead.
3. 8 years after fast-reproducing comb jellies invaded in the Black Sea, they dominated it.
4. 20 to 40 people are killed annually from box jellyfish stings in the Philippines alone.
5. 100 foot-long tentacles may dangle from the lionís mane jelly.
6. 400 vast Dead Zones in world oceans are too polluted for almost all life except jellyfish.
7. 1,000+ fist-sized comb jellies filled each cubic meter of water in Black Sea jelly blooms.
8. 45,000 eggs may be released daily by a single jellyfish.
9. 500,000 people are stung by jellyfish in the Chesapeake Bay annually.
10. 500 million refrigerator-sized jellyfish float into the Sea of Japan daily during blooms.