OIA's Integrative Activities (IA) Section
OIA's Integrative Activities (IA) section administers major NSF-wide programs such as Science and Technology Centers (STC), Major Research Instrumentation (MRI), Mid-scale Research Infrastructure – Track 1 (MSRI-1), Historically Black Colleges and Universities – Excellence in Research (HBCU-EiR), Growing Convergence Research, and NSF 2026.
Activities administered by IA include prestigious honorary award programs-the National Medal of Science and the Alan T. Waterman Award, as well as professional internships for aspiring scientists and engineers. Broadening Participation activities include the Committee on Equal Opportunities in Science and Engineering (CEOSE).
IA supports the NSF Director's Office through policy analysis and special projects to address Foundation priorities, and plays a leadership role, in close partnership with other NSF Directorates and Offices, to improve NSF's management practices and promote unity and alignment in support of the Foundation's mission.
IA coordinates NSF’s reporting on its merit review process to the National Science Board and the agency’s use of Committees of Visitors. It also develops and prototypes tools and dashboards that provide NSF staff greater visibility.
IA catalyzes and incubates NSF-wide initiatives; promotes STEM talent; and advances agency policies and research infrastructure.
IA envisions a robust research enterprise that transcends scientific disciplines, cultivates collaboration, and uses innovative approaches to achieve scientific breakthroughs.
- Prototype and coordinate large-scale cross-directorate initiatives;
- Administer high profile recognition programs;
- Develop novel analysis and tools to drive policy and practices;
- Provide leadership on Agency BP Activities; and
- Lead strategic planning for the agency.
IA administers the following NSF interagency and cross-cutting programs and activities:
- Advisory Committee for Environmental Research and Education
- Career-Life Balance Initiative
- Committee on Equal Opportunities in Science and Engineering (CEOSE)
- Developing STEM Talent
- Growing Convergence Research (GCR)
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities – Excellence in Research (HBCU-EiR)
- Honorary Awards
- Alan T. Waterman Award
- National Medal of Science
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Major Research Instrumentation (MRI)
- Mid-scale Research Infrastructure – Track 1 (MSRI-1)
- NSF 2026
- Science and Technology Centers (STC)
- Oversight and Assessment