Email Print Share

Report Fraud, Waste, Abuse, or Whistleblower Reprisal to the NSF OIG

Contact us to provide information about fraud, waste or abuse via:

Internet Form: Internet Form
Phone: 703-292-7100 (business hours), or
703-328-3932 (non-business hours)
Anonymous Hotline: 1-800-428-2189
Fax: 703-292-9159
Mail: 2415 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22314
FAR Contracting
Reporting Form:
FAR Hotline Form

The people involved in NSF programs and operations, whether NSF employees, grantees, principal investigators, or others working on NSF programs, grants, or contracts, are in the best position to detect problems. You can help the Office of Inspector General (OIG) improve management and eliminate fraud by providing information to OIG about allegations or suspicions of fraud, waste, abuse, mismanagement, research misconduct (fabrication, falsification, plagiarism), or unnecessary government expenditures.

If you need further information or want to discuss any allegation, please contact our office. To ensure that your concerns are appropriately addressed, it is critically important that you provide as much information as possible in support of your complaint, including:

  1. Whether the complaint relates to Recovery Act funded activities,
  2. The identity and contact information of the violator(s),
  3. The identity and contact information of those persons who can corroborate the allegations, and
  4. A description and location of relevant documentary and physical evidence.

While anonymous complaints are welcome, please understand that a lack of sufficient and specific information may mean that our office is unable to investigate the allegation.

Please note that OIG does not have authority to investigate EEO complaints. To file such complaints, contact NSF's Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

Further, OIG refers federal employees who believe they have been improperly retaliated against for whistleblowing to The Office of Special Counsel (OSC). OSC is an independent agency enforcing whistleblower protections and certain other actions within the Federal government. Information on filing a complaint with OSC may be found on their website at Please visit the Whistleblower web page for additional information on whistleblower protections.