Representative Examples of Community-Based Facility Planning Activities
1. Second Conference on Scientific Ocean Drilling (COSOD II), European Science Foundation under the Joint Oceanographic Institutions for Deep Earth Sampling Workshop Report, Strasbourg, France. Munsch G.B., ed., European Science Foundation, Strausbourg, France, 1987.
The Role of ODP Drilling in the Investigation of Global Changes in Sea Level, JOI/USSAC Workshop Report, El Paso, Texas, Watkins J.S. and G.S. Mountain, 1988, unpublished.
Understanding our Dynamic Earth through Ocean Drilling, Ocean Drilling Program Long Range Plan. Long Range Planning subgroup of the JOIDES Planning Committee and Joint Oceanographic Institutions, JOI, Inc., Washington, D.C., 1996.
The Oceanic Lithosphere and Scientific Drilling into the 21st Century, ODP-Inter-Ridge-IAVCEI Workshop Report, North Falmouth, MA and Woods Hole, MA. Williams R. and H. Sloan, eds., Inter-Ridge Office, Durham, United Kingdom, 1996.
International Conference on Ocean Drilling in the Twenty-first Century (OD21), Workshop Report, Hayama, Japan. JAMSTEC, Yokosuka, Japan, 1996.
International Workshop on Riser Technology, Workshop Report, Yokohama, Japan. JAMSTEC, Yokosuka, Japan, 1996, unpublished.
Report on the CONference on Cooperative Ocean Riser Drilling (CONCORD), Workshop Report, Tokyo, Japan. JAMSTEC, Yokosuka, Japan, 1997, unpublished.
A New Vision for Scientific Ocean Drilling, A Report from COMPOST-II: The U.S. Committee for Post-2003 Scientific Ocean Drilling. JOI Inc., Washington, D.C., 1998.
2. Future of Accelerator Mass Spectrometry in the USA: Proceedings of an Interagency Briefing and Workshop to Explore Needs and Opportunities for AMS Applications, Washington, D.C. Elmore D., ed., University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 1985.
Report of an ad hoc meeting at NSF to discuss future needs of ocean sciences for an AMS facility. NSF, Arlington, VA 1985, unpublished.
A Chemical Tracer Strategy for WOCE: Report of a Workshop, Seattle, WA. Armiento J, ed., U.S. WOCE Planning Report No. 10, pp.179-181, U.S. Planning Office for WOCE, College Station, TX, 1988.
Geoscience Research with New and Improved AMS Instrumentation, Report of the Accelerator Mass Spectrometry Committee (AMSAC). 1988, unpublished.
3. U.S. Ocean Bottom Seismology Meeting Workshop Report, Monterey Bay, CA. Orcutt J., ed., 1997. Internet: http://victory.ucsd.edu/OBS_Meeting_Site/OBS_Report.html. Accessed on February 10, 1999.
4. Ocean Drilling Program Sample Distribution Policy, Internet: http://www-odp.tamu.edu/curation/sdp.htm. Accessed on January 15, 1999.
Setting a New Course for U.S. Coastal Ocean Science, Phase I: Inventory of Federal Programs, Phase II: The strategic Framework. Scavia D., ed., National Science and Technology Council, Committee on Environmental and Natural Resourses, 1995.
6. Long Time Series Measurements in the Coastal Ocean, Workshop CoOP Report, Washington D.C. Vincent C.L., T.C. Royer and K.H. Brink, eds., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Technical Report 93-49:96, 1993.
Proceedings of a Workshop on Broad-Band Downhole Seismometers in the Deep Ocean, Woods Hole, MA. Purdy, G.M. and A.M. Dziewonski, WHOI, Woods Hole, MA, 1988.
JOI/IRIS Ocean Seismic Network U.S. Pilot Experiment Task Force Meeting, Washington, D.C. Forsyth D., S. Sacks, and A. Trehu, JOI, Inc., Washington, D.C., 1991.
Workshop on Scientific Uses of Undersea Cables, Report to the National Science Foundation, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Office of Naval Research, and U.S. Geological Survey, Honolulu, Hawaii. Chave A., R. Butler, and T.E. Pyle, eds., JOI, Inc., Washington D.C., 1990.
Broadband Seismology in the Oceans: Towards a Five-Year Plan, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, La Jolla, CA. JOI, Inc., Washington, D.C., 1995.
Multidisciplinary Observatories on the Deep Seafloor, International Workshop, Marseille, France. Montagner, J. P. and Y. Lancelot, eds., 1995, unpublished.
Borehole: A Plan to Advance Post-Drilling, Sub-Seafloor Science, Joint Oceanographic Institutions/U.S. Science Advisory Committee Workshop, Miami, FL. JOI, Inc., Washington, D.C., 1994.
1995 Activities Contributing to a Global Ocean Observing System, U.S. National Report. U.S. GOOS Interagency Project Office, Silver Spring, MD, 1996.
Ocean Observations Panel for Climate Report of Ocean Climate Time-Series Workshop, GCOS Report No. 41, Baltimore, MD. GOOS Interagency Project Office, Silver Spring, MD, 1997.
International Workshop on Scientific Use of Submarine Cables, Workshop Report, Okinawa, Japan. 1997, unpublished.
7. Assessing Ocean Modeling and Data Assimilation Requirements, Report on Workshop to Discuss Needs for an Ocean Data Assimilation Center. National Science Foundation, Division of Ocean Sciences, 1997, unpublished.
U.S. Ocean Science Needs for Modeling and Data Synthesis: Status of a Community Assessment. Nowlin W.D., Oceanography, 10:135-140, 1997.
A Distributed Modeling and Data Assimilation Capability for the Ocean Sciences. Powell T.M., W.D. Nowlin and S.C. Doney, NSF, 1998, unpublished.
Assessing Ocean Modeling and Data Assimilation Requirements, U.S. WOCE Office Report on workshop to discuss needs for ocean global circulation modeling. 1997.
8. Report of a Workshop on Mid-Life Refits and Improvements of Intermediate-Size Ships, Washington, D.C., UNOLS Fleet Improvement Committee Office Report. Barber R. and K. Treadwell, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 1989.
UNOLS Fleet Improvement Plan. UNOLS Fleet Improvement Committee, 1995, unpublished.
UNOLS Deep Submergence Science Committee Meeting, Summary Report, Woods Hole, MA. 1996, unpublished.
UNOLS Deep Submergence Science Committee SEACLIFF Working Group Report. 1997, unpublished.
9. Scientific Justification and Development Plan for a Mid-Sized Jet Aircraft. Cooper W.A., W.B. Johnson, J.E. Ragni, G.L. Summers and M.N. Zrubek, NCAR Technical Note 337+EDD, 1989. Internet: http://www.ucar.edu/ucargen/technotes/. Accessed on February 11, 1999.
Third NCAR Research Aircraft Fleet Workshop. Radke L.F. and P. Spyers-Duran, NCAR Technical Report 374+PROC, 1992. Internet: http://www.ucar.edu/ucargen/technotes/. Accessed on February 11, 1999.
11. Coupling, Energetics and Dynamics of Atmospheric Regions (CEDAR) Volume II Supplement: Detailed Facility Radar Development, Report to the National Science Foundation Aeronomy Program by the CEDAR Science Steering Committee, Vickrey J., ed., 1987, unpublished.
13. A Prototype Atmospheric Research Collaboratory (UARC). Clauer C.R., et al., Applications of Data Handling and Visualization Techniques in Space Atmospheric Sciences, NASA SP-519, pp. 105-112, 1995.
National Collaboratories: Applying Information Technology for Scientific Research, NRC Report. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1993.
The National Collaboratory: A White Paper, Appendix A: Toward a National Collaboratory, Report of Workshop at Rockefeller University, NY. Wulf W.A, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1989.
An Approach to Unidata Communications System Design, Phase III Final Planning Report. Cooper, C.S., Unidata Program Center, Boulder, CO, 1985, unpublished.
Integrating Technology into the Meteorology Classroom, Summary of the 1993 Northeast Regional Unidata Workshop. Byrd, G. et al., Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 75:1677-1683, 1994.
The Unidata LDM: Programs and Protocols for Flexible Processing of Data Products. Davis G.P. and R.K. Rew, In: Proceedings, 10th International Conference on Interactive Information and Processing Systems for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology, Nashville, TN, American Meteorological Society, 1994.
Unidata Internet Data Distribution (IDD): A 1994 Update. Domenico B. and D. Fulker, In: Proceedings, 11th International Conference on Interactive Information and Processing Systems for Meteorology, Oceanography and Hydrology, Dallas, TX, American Meteorological Society, 1995. Internet: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/publications/papers/idd94.html. Accessed on February 11, 1999.
The Unidata System for University Weather Data Analysis and Modeling, Report on a Planning Effort Initiated as UCAR Cooperative University Program, Dutton J.A., Unidata Program Center, Boulder, CO, 1983, unpublished.
Producing the Finest Scientists and Engineers for the 21st Century. Good M.L. and N.F. Lane, Science, 266:741-743, 1994.
Computer-Mediated Scholarly Collaboration. Harasim L.M. and T. Winkelmans, Knowledge: Creation, Diffusion, Utilization, 11:382-409, 1990.
Returns to Science: Computer Networks in Oceanography. Hesse B.W., L.S. Sproull, S.B. Kiesler and J.P. Walsh, Communications of the ACM, 36:90-101, August 1993.
Online Communities: A Case Study of the Office of the Future. Hiltz S.R., Ablex Publishing Corp., 1984.
Computer Networks: Prospects for Scientists. Newell A. and R.F. Sproull, Science, 215:843-852, 1982.
Unidata: Enabling Universities to Acquire and Analyze Scientific Data. Sherretz L.A. and D.W. Fulker, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 69:373-376, 1988.
A Design Study for the Incoherent Scatter Radar for the PCO, Report to NSF. Kelly J.D., SRI International, 1991, unpublished.
Design Study for a Polar Cap Observatory Radar Data Acquisition System, Report to NSF. Holt J., MIT, 1991, unpublished.
The Polar Cap Observatory Optical Interferometry and Spectroscopy: A Design Study Plan, Report to NSF. Killeen T., University of Michigan, 1991, unpublished.
16. Scientific Justification and Development Plan for a Mid-Sized Jet Research Aircraft. Cooper W.A., et al., NCAR Technical Note 377+EDD, 1989. Internet: http://www.ucar.edu/ucargen/technotes/. Accessed on February 11, 1999.
Third NCAR Research Aircraft Fleet Workshop. Radke L.F. and P. Spyers-Duran, NCAR Technical Note 374PROC, 1992. Internet: http://www.ucar.edu/ucargen/technotes/. Accessed on February 11, 1999.
18. Current Problems in Geodesy, Report of the NRC Committee on Geodesy. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1987. Proceedings of the International Workshop on the Interdisciplinary Role of Space Geodesy. Mueller I.I. and S. Zerbini, eds., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987.
Geodesy in the Year 2000, Report of the NRC Committee on Geodesy. Rundle J., ed., National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1990.
International Global Network of Fiducial Stations, Report of the NRC Committee on Geodesy. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1991.
A Technical Report to the Secretary of Transportation on a National Approach to Augmented GPS Services, National Telecommunications and Information Administration Special Publication 94-30. U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, D.C., 1994.
Airborne Geophysics and Precise Positioning _ Scientific Issues and Future Directions, Report of the NRC Committee on Geodesy. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1995.
Densification of the IERS Terrestrial Reference Frame Through Regional GPS Networks, Proceedings of a Workshop, Pasadena, CA. Zumberge J. and R. Liu, eds., Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology, 1995.
The Global Positioning System for the Geosciences: Summaries and Proceedings of a Workshop on Improving the GPS Reference Station Infrastructure for Earth, Oceanic, and Atmospheric Science Applications, Boulder, CO. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1997.
Continental Scientific Drilling Program, Report of the NRC Committee on Geodynamics. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1979.
Research Objectives for Continental Scientific Drilling Studies of Active Fault Zones, Report of the NRC Committee on Continental Scientific Drilling. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1987.
The United States Continental Scientific Drilling Program: Second Annual Report to Congress in Response to Public Law 100-441, the Continental Scientific Drilling and Exploration Act, 1990.
The United States Continental Scientific Drilling Program: Third Annual Report to Congress in Response to Public Law 100-441, the Continental Scientific Drilling and Exploration Act, 1991.
Studies of the Earth's Deep Interior: Goals and Trends. Lay, T., T.J. Ahrens, P. Olson, J. Smyth and D. Loper, Physics Today, Oct.1990, pp. 2-10.
Real-Time Earthquake Monitoring: Early Warning and Rapid Response, Report of the NRC Committee on Seismology. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1991.
A Science Plan for Cooperative Studies of the Earth's Deep Interior, Report of the U.S. SEDI Coordinating Committee (IUGG). 1993, unpublished.
Research Required to Support Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Monitoring, Report of the NRC Committee on Seismology. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1997.
Facilities for Earth Materials Research, Report of the NRC's U.S. Geodynamics Committee. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C, 1990.
23. Synchrotron Radiation: Applications in the Earth Sciences, Report of the Mineral Physics Committee of the American Geophysical Union. Bassett, W.A. and G.E. Brown, Jr., eds., AGU, Washington, D.C., 1989.
24. Earth Materials Research, Report of a Workshop on the Physics and Chemistry of Earth Materials, NRC Committee on Physics and Chemistry of Earth Materials. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1987.
25. Workshops for these specific initiatives will be held during calendar year 1999. In addition, these initiatives will be discussed in the NRC's Board on Earth Sciences and Resources recently initiated study on Opportunities for Research in the Earth Sciences.
President's Information Technology Advisory Committee Interim Report
to the President.
31. A National Program for Research in Continental Dynamics, CD/2020, Report of a Workshop on Future Research Directions in Continental Dynamics, Chandler, AZ. Simarski, L.T., ed., The IRIS Consortium, Washington, D.C., 1989.