Dear Colleague Letter: Supplemental Funding Requests to Conduct US-EU Collaborative Research
February 16, 2021
With this Dear Colleague Letter (DCL), the National Science Foundation's (NSF) Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE) wishes to notify the community of its intention to support supplemental funding requests for active research awards to conduct United States ‒ European Union (US-EU) Collaborative Research. These supplemental funding requests are anticipated to be for up to $100,000 but are limited to strictly less than 20% of the original award, whichever is smaller. Funded supplements will provide support for periods of up to one year, but not to exceed the existing award periods.
This collaborative research is coupled with European Commission's (EC) The Next Generation Internet (NGI) initiative, which aims to shape the future internet as an interoperable platform. In particular, this DCL is coupled with NGIatlantic.eu, which has periodic open calls with the main goal of incentivizing EU ‒ US NGI teams to carry out experiments using EU and/or US based experimental platforms. Topical priorities and US-EU experimental platforms are as outlined in such an open call. The next open call deadline is February 26, 2021. For additional guidance on the scope, please contact the NSF program directors listed at the end of this DCL.
Active NSF-funded researchers within NSF's Computer and Network Systems Core and Secure and Trustworthy Cyberspace programs may propose, as part of their supplemental funding requests, a collaborative project with their EU counterpart, where the EU counterpart applies to the NGIatlantic.eu open call. Supplemental funding awarded pursuant to this DCL may be used by the project team to support the time of the PI, co-PIs, other senior personnel, postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, undergraduate students or travel to conduct collaborative research with EU researchers.
All supplemental funding requests will be subject to NSF's merit review process, as described in the NSF Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG). Each supplemental funding request must follow the guidance specified in PAPPG Chapter VI.E.4 and must be in the same scope as the proposal submitted to the NGIatlantic.eu open call. The content in the supplemental request should be organized by addressing the following items:
- Summary of the active research award, including original research vision, goals, activities, and accomplishments, spanning Intellectual Merit and Broader Impacts, and how this award is related to the proposed work for the NGIatlantic.eu open call (about a page);
- The project description that was submitted to the NGIatlantic.eu open call;
- Bio-sketch of the EU lead partner (one page); and
- Justification of the need for the supplemental funds, which should be discussed as part of the budget justification accompanying the supplemental funding request.
The deadline for submission of supplemental funding requests for consideration is within a week of any NGIatlantic.eu open call deadline. This DCL will remain active until June 1, 2022.
PIs interested in submitting supplemental funding requests (or with other questions pertaining to this DCL) are strongly encouraged to contact one of the following NSF/CISE program directors prior to submitting:
- Deep Medhi, Program Director, CISE/CNS, telephone: (703) 292-2935, email: email@example.com;
- James Joshi, Program Director, CISE/CNS, telephone: (703) 292-8950, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; and
- Ann Von Lehmen, Program Director, CISE/CNS, telephone: (703) 292-4756, email: email@example.com.
Assistant Director, CISE
National Science Foundation