This page has been archived and is provided for reference only.
Information About the Government Shutdown for NSF Panelists
This document addresses panel-related issues that may arise during a lapse in appropriations of the Federal Government. NSF is providing this information as a service to our reviewer community in the hopes that it will address most of the questions you may have during this time period. Unfortunately, considerable uncertainty exists surrounding a lapse in appropriations. As a result, panelists are strongly encouraged to monitor news outlets to determine if the Federal government, and therefore NSF, is open for business.
Please be aware that, except as noted below, NSF will not be available to respond to emails or phone calls during a lapse in appropriations, but will respond to your inquiries as soon as practicable after normal operations have been resumed. NSF is committed to minimizing the negative impacts a disruption may have on the science and engineering enterprise and, as necessary, will issue follow-on guidance after normal operations resume.
PANELIST TRAVEL INFORMATION
- Panelists are advised to monitor news outlets to determine if the Federal government, and therefore NSF, is open for business. If the government is closed, panelists are instructed not to travel.
- All panels scheduled to occur during a lapse in appropriations will be cancelled and will likely be rescheduled to a later date.
- Panelists are responsible for the cancellation of room reservations in sufficient time to retain the deposits on personal credit cards. NSF will not be able to provide reimbursement.
- NSF will instruct our Travel Management Contractors to cancel all reservations on a day-by-day basis until NSF receives funding (either by a full-year appropriation or a temporary Continuing Resolution). All NSF panelists in travel status at the time of a lapse in appropriations will automatically go into a no pay status and should immediately contact ADTRAV to make arrangements to return home. ADTRAV can be reached by phone at (855) 417-4024 or by email to: email@example.com.
- No panels will take place on the day NSF reopens. Once NSF is open for business, we expect that in-person panels that were previously scheduled to occur at NSF within two days after the Federal government reopens will be postponed or conducted virtually. Readiness for all virtual panels and in-person panels planned for later dates will be assessed by program staff and panelists will be contacted about the disposition of the panel. Panelists are encouraged to await guidance from program staff. However, if you have an urgent question after NSF reopens, you may contact the cognizant program officer for the panel to which you've been assigned.
NSF ELECTRONIC REVIEW SYSTEMS
- The Interactive Panel System will not be available.
- The Graduate Research Fellowship Review Site will not be available.
Additional information for the proposal and award process is available on the NSF website.