- Academic R&D Expenditures
- This series reviews trends in research and development expenditures within academia and federally funded R&D centers in the United States and outlying areas.
NOTE: The Survey of Research and Development Expenditures at Universities and Colleges collected data for 1972–2009. For current data see the Higher Education Research and Development (HERD) series.
- Higher Education Research and Development (HERD)
- This series provides current and historical trends on the amounts and types of research and development activities at U.S. colleges and universities. Beginning with 2010, data are collected using the Higher Education R&D (HERD) Survey, successor to the Survey of R&D Expenditures at Universities and Colleges.
NOTE: Tables from previous years can be found in the Academic R&D Expenditures series.
- Master Government List of Federally Funded R&D Centers
- This series presents the master government list of federally funded research and development centers. The most recent Master Government List of FFRDCs can be found at http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/ffrdclist/.
- Science and Engineering Indicators
- This biennial report to Congress provides a broad base of quantitative information about U.S. science, engineering, and technology.
- Science and Engineering State Profiles
- State Profiles is an interactive website providing access to state-level data on science and engineering (S&E) personnel and finances and state rankings. State Profiles displays up to 7 state profiles of the user’s choice. Data are available from surveys sponsored by the National Science Foundation on employed science, engineering, or health (SEH) doctorate holders; S&E doctorates awarded, including by major S&E fields; SEH graduate students and postdoctorates; federal research and development obligations by agency and performer; total and business R&D expenditures; and higher education R&D performance, including by major S&E fields. Data available from other sources include population, civilian labor force, per capita personal income, federal expenditures, patents, small business innovation research awards, and gross domestic product. All data are available for download. Data cover 2003 to present.
- SESTAT: Characteristics of Scientists and Engineers in the United States
- Tabular data, generated from the SESTAT data system, provides a profile the U.S. science and engineering (S&E) workforce. The tabulations include characteristics of all U.S. scientists and engineers, employed scientists and engineers, and salaries information for scientists and engineers. Data are presented by degree field and occupation, and by characteristics such as sex, race, ethnicity, age and citizenship. Learn about the redesign of SESTAT.
- State Government Research and Development
- Data on R&D activity performed and funded by each of the nation's 50 states and the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
Research and Development: State & Local Government
Last Updated: June 08, 2016