How do I...
Download or print...
All state indicators?
- The complete set of State Indicators are available as a PDF at the top of the Downloads page.
A single state indicator?
Printable PDFs as well as downloadable Excel tables of raw data and standard errors can be downloaded from the icons at the top of the individual indicator pages as well as from the Downloads page.
The download icon allows users to download Excel tables, while the print icon allows user to create a printable PDF that can be saved or printed.
Groups of indicators or customized views?
- Print groups of indicators or customized views through your web browser's print menu.
Find an indicator's data sources or notes?
Each map, table, and chart view has sources listed below the tabbed viewing area. You may also visit the Downloads page.
Find technical information about State Indicators data?
Please see the Technical Notes page, available from the top navigation menu.
Contact the author?
- Jock Black (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mathematical Statistician, National Center for Science and Engineering Statistics, National Science Foundation.
Report a technical issue with the website?
For technical problems, please send an email to email@example.com.
Explore a single indicator?
- A description of the indicator and select findings are presented for each indicator above the map, chart, and table views.
- Map view shows the distribution an indicator over geographic space, allowing the user to see regional trends and local outliers. The map is color-coded by quartile—meaning the states, District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico are sorted into four groups of approximately 13 states within a similar range.
- Chart view graphically displays the indicator across years for all states. A chart can be sorted by clicking the arrows at the top of the chart. Sorting allows for easier comparisons over time. Chart view can display current or constant dollars, where appropriate and as selected.
- Table view shows data back to 1990, if available, plus trend lines for all states. Data in the table may be sorted by years or states. Table view can display current or constant dollars, where appropriate and as selected.
Compare groups of indicators?
Start by choosing a pre-selected comparison group from the Compare State Indicators menu at the top of the page. (Groups of indicators are displayed in current dollars only.)
- Across All States view displays multiple indicators for all states for the most recent year of data. Charts may be sorted by indicator or by state name using the arrow next to the column header. You may remove an indicator from this view by clicking the X icon above the indicator name. You may add additional indicators by clicking the Add Indicator button at the top right of the graph.
- Across All Years view shows trends for multiple indicators for all years. Add or remove states by clicking on the map for comparisons of selected states over time. You may remove an indicator from this view by clicking the X icon at the top right corner of the graph. You may add additional indicators by clicking the + Add Indicator icon at the bottom of the page.