partnerships for innovation
academe + partners → from scientific discoveries to practical use
PFI:BIC Smart Service Systems
The NSF Partnerships for Innovation: Building Innovation Capacity (PFI:BIC) program supports academia-industry partnerships to focus on post-discovery, academic-led research that advances, adapts and integrates technology into a human-centered smart service system and builds innovation capacity:
- Technological innovation capacity, by focusing on technological innovations with significant potential for economic and societal impact; and
- Human innovation capacity, by activating academe-industry partnerships that are anticipated to have indelible effects on the partners; and by the participation of students and/or postdoctoral researchers, who are anticipated to develop the skill-sets, capabilities, and motivation to become future innovators in partnership collaborations; and
- Service system innovation capacity, by using an interdisciplinary and cross-organizational approach to shape smart service systems that integrate both human-centered considerations and technologies from an early juncture in the project. In addition to the discipline or disciplines related to the technology, the disciplines to be included in this project are
- systems engineering or engineering design
- computer science/information technology
- human factors/behavioral science/cognitive engineering
Grants are for up to $1,000,000 for 3 years. There is a single funding competition each fiscal year.
Click here to see recently funded awards.
To learn more and get started with a grant application, please see the latest solicitation, NSF PFI:BIC 14-610.
Each grant application must be preceded by a Letter of Intent. To learn more and take the first step in making an application, go to PFI:BIC Letter of Intent page.
A PFI:BIC proposal submission will require Supplementary Document:
- Required Letter of Intent (LOI), December 3, 2014, due 5:00 pm local time.
- Full Proposal Submission January 28, 2015, due 5:00 pm local time.
NSF 14-610 - Smart Service Systems Webinar Materials
Material from two webinars, held in October and November of 2014, can be found below:
Smart Service Systems LinkedIn Group
Join the discussion about smart service systems via the NSF Smart Service Systems LinkedIn Group.
Smart Service Systems Forum
On September 25th, 2013 the Industrial Innovation and Partnerships Division of the Directorate for Engineering at NSF held a virtual forum open to the public to discuss smart service systems in light of the establishment of the Building Innovation Capacity program focus on service systems. This virtual forum had participation from both industry and academe working in either smart technologies, service systems or both. A recording of the forum can be found here: BIC Forum Recording. Presentation slides can be found here: BIC Forum PowerPoint Presentation.
To stay up-to-date with PFI:BIC and similar programs, join the "Academic-Industry Partnerships at NSF" newsletter: