Harnessing the Data Revolution
Engaging NSF's research community in the pursuit of fundamental research in data science and engineering, the development of a cohesive, federated, national-scale approach to research data infrastructure, and the development of a 21st-century data-capable workforce.
Imagine a day when there is real-time sensing/computation of observational data from the atmosphere, land and water, enhancing our ability to:
- Detect tornadoes and other hazardous weather with pinpoint accuracy
- Predict severe storm tracks with real-time data assimilation into tuned, validated models
- Warn and respond using personalized data of human activity, context
- Optimize weather-dependent logistics, transportation.
This is just one example of the power of harnessing the data revolution in just one area (atmospheric sensing) in just one science directorate. The power of harnessing the data revolution plays out over and over again in areas from chemistry to biology to astronomy to physics to engineered systems like Internet of Things (IoT), to education and more.
There are three principal components of the Harnessing the Data Revolution big idea:
- Research - across all NSF Directorates
- Educational pathways - Innovations grounded in an education-research-based framework
- Advanced cyberinfrastructure - accelerating data-intensive research.
- Harnessing the Data Revolution (HDR): Transdisciplinary Research in Principles of Data Science Phase I
(Program Solicitation, Feb. 11, 2019)
- Harnessing the Data Revolution (HDR): Institutes for Data-Intensive Research in Science and Engineering - Frameworks (I-DIRSE-FW)
(Program Solicitation, Feb. 7, 2019)
- Harnessing the Data Revolution (HDR): Institutes for Data-Intensive Research in Science and Engineering - Ideas Labs (I-DIRSE-IL)
(Program Solicitation, Dec. 21, 2018)
- Harnessing the Data Revolution (HDR): Data Science Corps (DSC)
(Program Solicitation, Oct. 31, 2018)
- Harnessing the Data Revolution @ NSF
(May 8, 2018)
- NSF issues first Convergence awards, addressing societal challenges through scientific collaboration
(NSF News Release, Aug. 25, 2017)
- New NSF awards will bring together cross-disciplinary science communities to develop foundations of data science
(NSF News Release, Aug. 24, 2017)
Ten research and process "big ideas" that will drive important aspects of NSF's long-term research agenda, push forward the frontiers of U.S. science and engineering research, and lead to new discoveries and innovations.