NSF Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science.
Transforming education and career pathways to help broaden participation in science and engineering.
The vision of NSF INCLUDES is to catalyze the STEM enterprise to work collaboratively for inclusive change, resulting in a STEM workforce that reflects the population of the nation. NSF INCLUDES supports the research, collaborative infrastructures, partnerships and networks necessary to address specific, STEM-inclusion challenges at a national scale. Building on the success of the initial 70, multi-organizational launch pilots funded in 2016 and 2017, NSF INCLUDES awarded eight large-scale NSF INCLUDES Alliances in 2018 and 2019. These Alliances are building the comprehensive collaborative infrastructure needed to accelerate innovative solutions to large broadening participation challenges. They are engaging partners from private and corporate philanthropy, federal agencies and scientific professional societies, and are enabling participants to determine the key components and approaches that lead to progress in STEM inclusion.
As a bridge from pilot efforts to large-scale networks, NSF INCLUDES recently funded 11 planning grants that are intended to facilitate and support the development of partnerships and networks. They will do this by building capacity for collaborative infrastructure that might lead to the establishment of future centers, alliances or other large-scale networks, for the purpose of addressing a broadening participation challenge in STEM at scale. NSF INCLUDES expects to support additional planning grants and Alliances in 2021.
NSF INCLUDES supports efforts with the potential to achieve significant broader impacts that span well beyond a particular program, city or even state.
- NSF INCLUDES Report to the Nation II
(Report, July 20, 2020)
- ASPIRE: National Alliance for Inclusive and Diverse STEM Faculty
(Video, 3 min, 39 sec, Managing PO: Jolene Jesse)
- CAHSI: Computing Alliance of Hispanic-Serving Institutions
(Video, 2 min, 32 sec, Managing PO: Fay Cobb-Payton)
- FIRST2STEM: Expanding the First2 STEM Success Network
(Video, 8 min, 25 sec; to shorten, stop at 3:11, Managing PO: Kurt Thoroughman)
- IGEN: Inclusive Graduate Education Network
(Video, 3 min, 27 sec; stop at 3:15 to avoid APS TV promo, Managing PO: Kathleen McCloud)
- STEM CORE: STEM Core Expansion
(Video, 2 min, 56 sec, Managing PO: Joe Whitmeyer)
- CAHSI video
- ASPIRE video
- Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES)
(Program Solicitation, May 4, 2020)
- EHR Announces new NSF INCLUDES Alliances Awards
(INCLUDES Alliances Awards, Sept. 23, 2019)
- Inclusion Across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (NSF INCLUDES) - NSF INCLUDES Planning Grants
(Program Solicitation, Sept. 9, 2019)
- 27 new NSF INCLUDES awards aim to enhance U.S. science and engineering enterprise
(NSF News Release, Sept. 11, 2017)
- NSF INCLUDES: Special Report
Ten research and process "big ideas" that will drive important aspects of NSF's long-term research agenda, push forward the frontiers of U.S. science and engineering research, and lead to new discoveries and innovations.
NSF is working to increase female and minority representation in STEM education and careers. NSF INCLUDES supports programs, networks and partnerships that empower women and minority students to pursue STEM education and careers, while broadening access to a greater range of opportunities.