Navigating the New Arctic (NNA)
What is Navigating the New Arctic?
Navigating the New Arctic (NNA) tackles convergent scientific challenges in the rapidly changing Arctic, that are needed to inform the economy, security and resilience of the Nation, the larger region and the globe. Major goals of NNA include:
- Improved understanding of Arctic change and its local and global effects that capitalize on innovative and optimized observation infrastructure, advances in understanding of fundamental processes, and new approaches to modeling interactions among the natural environment, built environment, and social systems.
- New and enhanced research communities that are diverse, integrative, and well-positioned to carry out productive research on the interactions or connections between natural and built environments and social systems and how these connections inform our understanding of Arctic change and its local and global effects.
- Research outcomes that inform national security, economic development, and societal well-being, and enable resilient and sustainable Arctic communities.
- Enhanced efforts in formal and informal education that focus on the social, built, and natural impacts of Arctic change on multiple scales and broadly disseminate research outcomes.
- Navigating the New Arctic
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Navigating the New Arctic FY21 solicitation (NSF 21-524)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Stimulating Research Related to Navigating the New Arctic (NNA), One of NSF's 10 Big Ideas (Archived)
- NSF announces awards totaling $37.5 million as part of its Navigating the New Arctic initiative (NSF Announcement, Oct. 23, 2019)
- NSF funds new projects to 'connect dots' (and data) to address longstanding, multi-scaled environmental problems (NSF News Release, Aug. 29, 2018)
- NSF Fiscal Year 2019 budget to advance innovation, infrastructure (NSF News Release, Feb. 28, 2018)
- NSF issues first Convergence awards, addressing societal challenges through scientific collaboration (NSF News Release, Aug. 25, 2017)
- 10 Big Ideas for Future NSF Investments
- Navigating the New Arctic (part of NSF's 10 Big Ideas Special Report)
- Video: Ten Big Ideas for Future NSF Investment
- Building the Future: Investing in Discovery and Innovation - NSF Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years (FY) 2018-2022
- Navigating the New Arctic Projects Hub
- Arctic Community Engagement (ACE)