NSF SPEAKERS BUREAU GUIDELINES
NSF Speakers typically appear before a wide range of audiences in many different venues in an effort to share our mission and impacts with the public. That said, some guidelines do apply:
Because the demand for NSF speakers is high, not all requests can be filled. All incoming requests are assessed to assure that they 1) meet the below requirements, and 2) will increase public awareness of the agency's programs or provide an important opportunity to disseminate the NSF message.
To request a speaker for your group, the Speakers Bureau office must receive a request through the online request form. Please allow as much lead-time as possible prior to your event for us to locate an appropriate speaker, preferably 6-8 weeks. This consideration is necessary to provide speakers with adequate notice, ensure minimal disruption to their work schedules, and provide enough notice to the requester that a speaker will or will not be available. Please note, that because staff participation in the Speakers Bureau is optional, we cannot guarantee that all requests will be filled.
The following terms must be followed for NSF participation at your event:
- NSF Speakers cannot participate in any activity that is associated with fundraising, promotional activities or endorsements, either directly or indirectly.
- NSF speakers should not participate in any activity or event that has partisan political affiliation, pursuant to the Hatch Act.
- NSF Speakers cannot participate in any activity in which any group has been unlawfully segregated or unequally treated on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, disability, religion, age, or sexual orientation.
- NSF speakers cannot accept honoraria, stipends, or fees for speaking.
- Only NSF can pay for NSF speakers to travel.