NSF Computer Security Policy
NSF VISITORS AND PANELISTS
We are committed to providing you with the proper tools and resources during your visit to the Foundation. The following information will help you prepare for your trip to NSF.
For security purposes, every computer or mobile device that connects to NSF's visitor network is subject to monitoring. When connecting to a United States Government network such as NSF's visitor network, users should be aware that they have no expectation of privacy. All information, including emails and files, transmitted over the NSF visitor network is subject to monitoring by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) National Cyber Protection System (NCPS) and NSF officials. Thank you for helping NSF maintain a safe and secure IT working environment.
PLANNING YOUR VISIT TO NSF
All computers connecting to the NSF visitor network are required to follow proper NSF IT security safeguards. Taking time to prepare your computer prior to your visit will ensure you can safely connect to NSF systems and resources.
Before traveling to NSF, be sure your computer or mobile device:
- Has ALL current operating system service packs and security patches installed.
- Is equipped with current, licensed anti-virus software as applicable.
- Has current virus table updates/patches.
- Has been fully scanned with virus detection software within one week of your visit.
- Contains no quarantined (virus infected) items
NSF monitors all network traffic for possible malware installations. If your devices show signs of having malware installed, the devices will be removed from the NSF visitor network.
WHILE AT NSF
We appreciate your assistance and cooperation in working with us to make your visit productive while also maintaining a safe IT-working environment. Follow these steps upon arrival to NSF to get connected to the network:
- Obtain a visitor's badge and the current WiFi access card for the visitor network at the NSF Information Center, Lobby Level of the North side of the NSF building (Stafford I).
- Once you reach your designated conference room, you can connect to the visitor network through a wireless connection:
- Connect to the Network from your computer (as specified on the Wifi card provided)
- Enter the security key (on the Wifi card provided)
- Launch your Internet Browser
- Follow the on-screen prompts to connect to the NSF wireless visitor network
QUESTIONS AND FEEDBACK
If you have any questions about this process, contact IT Help Central (Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. EST to 9:00 p.m. EST) at:
Telephone: (703) 292-HELP (4357)
Toll Free: (800) 711-8084