Image Credit: Douglas Pancoast & Satya Mark Basu, School of the Art Institute of Chicago/Array of Things
NSF's Smart & Connected Communities Effort
The National Science Foundation (NSF) has long been a leader in advancing the fundamental science and engineering research and education that will revolutionize our Nation's cities and communities for the 21st century. NSF investments create the scientific and engineering foundations for smart cities and communities and help to enhance economic vitality, safety, security, health and wellbeing, and overall quality of life.
A number of NSF solicitations support research in this important area. The flagship Smart & Connected Communities (S&CC) program was launched in 2016 to support iterative research advances in technological and social dimensions at colleges and universities across the U.S. with meaningful community engagement. In its first year of funding in fiscal year (FY) 2017, the S&CC program invested $19.5 million to support 39 projects involving researchers at 34 lead institutions across the Nation.
NSF Funding Opportunities
- Smart & Connected Communities (S&CC)
- Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS)
- Platforms for Advanced Wireless Research (PAWR)
- Smart and Connected Health (SCH)
- Critical Techniques, Technologies and Methodologies for Advancing Foundations and Applications of Big Data Sciences and Engineering (BIGDATA)
- Big Data Regional Innovation Hubs: Establishing Spokes to Advance Big Data Applications (BD Spokes)
- Smart and Autonomous Systems (S&AS)
- Partnerships for Innovation (PFI)
- CISE Research Infrastructure (CRI)
- Major Research Instrumentation Program (MRI)
- National Robotics Initiative 2.0: Ubiquitous Collaborative Robots (NRI-2.0)
- Critical Resilient Interdependent Infrastructure Systems and Processes (CRISP)
- S&CC Program FY 2018 Awards
- S&CC Program FY 2017 Awards
- S&CC Awards (NSF-16-14) and Dear Colleague Letter for FY2016
- US Ignite FY 2015 and FY 2016 Awards
- NSF CPS EAGER Awards for Researcher Participation in the Global City Teams Challenge (GCTC), announced through Dear Colleague Letters in FY 2015 and FY 2016
- NSF East Coast S&CC Visioning Workshop. Arlington, VA. December 2015. Workshop Report (PDF)
- NSF West Coast S&CC Visioning Workshop. Seattle, WA. January 2016. Workshop Report (PDF)
- Smart and Connected Communities for Learning: A Cyberlearning Innovation Lab. Menlo Park, CA. May 2016. Blog Post
- US-India Smart & Connected Communities Workshop. Delhi, India. June 2016. Workshop Report (PDF).
- Smart and Connected Communities Researchers' Summit: Connecting Science and Communities. Austin, TX. June 2017.
- NSF Visioning Workshop : Towards Effective Community-University-Industry Collaboration Models. Boston, MA. July 2017.
- 2017 National Workshop on Developing a Research Agenda for Connected Rural Communities (CRC17). Charlottesville, VA. September 2017.
- NSF-Sponsored Workshop on Effective Community-University-Industry Collaboration Models for Smart and Connected Communities Research. Arlington, VA. December 2017.
- Press Release 17-102: NSF announces $19.5M in awards to support fundamental research to advance the nation's local cities and communities - First-ever awards through Smart & Connected Communities program seek to address transportation, infrastructure, health and other rural and urban challenges
- Press Release 16-113: NSF commits more than $60 million to Smart Cities Initiative - Agency-wide effort to further science, engineering and education will address challenges in cities and communities nationwide
- Press Release 15-103: Cultivating smart and connected communities - NSF exhibits commitments in support of White House Smart Cities Initiative
- Press Release 15-105: Laying the foundation for smart and connected cities and communities - NSF issues 12 new awards in support of the Global City Teams Challenge
- Press Release 15-107: Gigabit application prototypes to help cities and communities serve citizens better - NSF awards nearly $12 million to expand innovation ecosystem for next-generation Internet applications
- Press Release 15-106: NSF invests $10 million in smart, human-centered service systems - Awards to spur innovation for smart health, manufacturing, and infrastructure
- Press Release 15-104: NSF supports urban-scale instrument to measure city's fitness - $3 million grant to the University of Chicago will prototype smart city technology
- Press Release 15-096: A partnership to secure and protect the emerging Internet of Things - National Science Foundation and Intel Corporation team to improve the security and privacy of computing systems that interact with the physical world using a new cooperative research model
- Press Release 15-108: NSF invests $20 million to enhance resilience of critical infrastructure - Infrastructure must outsmart disruptions to continue delivery of essential goods and services
Federal Strategy and Resources