Emerging Frontiers and Multidisciplinary Activities
The Office of Emerging Frontiers and Multidisciplinary Activities (EFMA) strategically supports projects in important emerging areas in a timely manner. Established in fiscal year 2015, the office also provides support to multidisciplinary education programs and facilities.
EFMA has the necessary flexibility to target long-term challenges, while retaining the ability and agility to adapt as new challenges demand.
The signature activity of EFMA is the Emerging Frontiers in Research and Innovation program (EFRI). EFRI investigators pursue cutting-edge, interdisciplinary research with the potential for transformative impacts on national needs and grand challenges.
The head of EFMA is Dr. Sohi Rastegar.
- Emerging Frontiers in Research and Innovation (EFRI)
- Research Experience and Mentoring (REM)
- Engineering Research Visioning Alliance
- NSF Trailblazer Engineering Impact Award (TRAILBLAZER)
- Ideas Lab: Personalized Engineering Learning (PEL)
EFMA home page image credits
Self-folding material image Credit: Daniela Rus, MIT
Multicolor lines Credit: NSF - stock.adobe.com
Bio-inspired and bioengineered systems Credit: National Science Foundation