Transparency and Accountability
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is the only federal agency whose mission is to promote the progress of basic research in all fields of science and engineering. For over 60 years, NSF’s investments have had a profound impact on our nation’s innovation ecosystem by funding transformative research that has explored – and extended – the frontiers of scientific knowledge, promoted new industries, and addressed societal challenges. NSF makes decisions to fulfill this mission using the merit review process.
As a public agency, NSF is responsible for building and sustaining the public trust through the transparency of our processes and the accountability of our organization. The Foundation remains committed to being sound stewards of federal investments while responding to rapid changes in science and society. NSF regularly examines our processes and procedures, reaffirming core values of organizational excellence and accountability for public benefit.
NSF’s efforts are well aligned with President Obama’s emphasis on establishing "a system of transparency, public participation, and collaboration" in his Memorandum on Transparency and Open Government. In particular, NSF provides a wealth of publicly available information on its processes, procedures and outcomes, including:
- A description of the merit review process
- Reports to the National Science Board on NSF’s merit review process
- Basic search for an award, or use the advanced search or search Research.Gov
- Public access to the results of NSF-funded research
- Progress on the clarity of titles and abstracts
- The NSF Open Data Initiative
- The NSF Open Government Plan
- Budget and performance reports
- Committee of Visitors reports
This website will be continually updated to reflect NSF's ongoing Transparency and Accountability efforts.
For further information concerning NSF's Transparency and Accountability initiative, please send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send questions or comments about these Web pages to O/D Webmaster.