NSF Responses to Natural Disasters
September 19, 2017
The National Science Foundation and its staff are deeply concerned for the people and institutions in the areas affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, and their aftermath. Affected researchers and institutions can be assured that they have our support. For current awardees impacted by Hurricanes Harvey or Irma, NSF will provide flexibilities and accommodations on a case-by-case basis. When freed from storm-related responsibilities, investigators must contact their Program Officers as soon as feasible to discuss how each NSF-supported project has been impacted. This is a necessary step in any further action that NSF may take with respect to funding.
For individuals from institutions affected by Hurricanes Harvey or Irma and considering submission of new proposals, NSF will be flexible with regard to meeting solicitation deadlines. Researchers or sponsored projects office staff from institutions that have been affected by the hurricanes and are unable to meet stated deadlines should contact the cognizant program office to discuss the issue. NSF will consider extensions to the submission deadline on a case-by-case basis. See NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide Chapter I.F.
We also have established an email address — email@example.com — for inquiries by institutions, faculty and students on NSF awards for issues related to Hurricanes Harvey or Irma.
The Foundation will be posting updated information regarding specific, timely, and relevant research assistance opportunities on NSF.gov. We encourage you to visit the site regularly.
HURRICANE IRMA INFORMATION
- Important Notice No. 142 to Presidents of Universities and Colleges and Heads of Other National Science Foundation Grantee Organizations
- NSF 17-135, Dear Colleague Letter: NSF Accepting Proposals Related to Hurricane Irma
HURRICANE HARVEY INFORMATION
- Important Notice No. 141 to Presidents of Universities and Colleges and Heads of Other National Science Foundation Grantee Organizations
- NSF 17-128, Dear Colleague Letter: NSF Accepting Proposals Related to Hurricane Harvey
- Harvey devastation sees largest-ever known deployment of UAVs for disaster response
- Social Science: Essential when the storm strikes
- NSF 17-132, Dear Colleague Letter: CMMI to Extend Deadlines in Response to Recent Hurricanes
- USA.gov: https://www.usa.gov/hurricane-harvey
- FEMA Hurricane Harvey Information: https://www.fema.gov/hurricane-harvey
- National Institutes of Health Natural Disaster Policy - Hurricane Harvey: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-17-106.html