OIA's Integrative Activities (IA) Section
OIA's Integrative Activities (IA) section administers major NSF-wide programs Integrative NSF Support Promoting Interdisciplinary Research and Education (INSPIRE), Science and Technology Centers (STC), Major Research Instrumentation (MRI), and Advanced Research Infrastructure Program (ARI).
Activities administered by IA include prestigious honorary award programs-the National Medal of Science and the Alan T. Waterman Award-as well as professional internships for aspiring scientists and engineers. Broadening Participation activities include the Committee on Equal Opportunities in Science and Engineering (CEOSE) and the Career-Life Balance Initiative.
IA also supports the NSF Director's Office through policy analysis and special projects to address Foundation priorities, and plays a leadership role-in close partnership with other NSF Directorates and Offices-to improve NSF's management practices and promote unity and alignment in support of the Foundation's mission.
IA catalyzes and incubates NSF-wide initiatives; promotes STEM talent; and advances agency policies and research infrastructure.
IA envisions a robust research enterprise that transcends scientific disciplines, cultivates collaboration and uses innovative approaches to achieve scientific breakthroughs.
- Lead strategic planning for the agency;
- Develop novel analysis and tools to drive policy and practices;
- Administer high profile recognition programs;
- Provide leadership on Agency BP Activities; and
- Prototype and coordinate large-scale cross-directorate initiatives
IA administers the following NSF interagency and cross-cutting programs and activities:
- Academic Research Infrastructure (ARI)
- Career-Life Balance Initiative
- Committee on Equal Opportunities in Science and Engineering (CEOSE)
- Developing STEM Talent
- Honorary Awards
- Alan T. Waterman Award
- National Medal of Science
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST)
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM)
- Major Research Instrumentation (MRI)
- Science and Technology Centers (STC)
- Oversight and Assessment
- Committee of Visitors (COV)
- NSF Evaluation Resources
- Merit Review
- Government Accountability Office (GAO) Liaison
- Office of Inspector General (OIG) Liaison
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Contact Liaison