OIA's Evaluation and Assessment Capability (EAC) Section
NSF Annual Evaluation Plan (FY 2022)
March 31, 2021
This plan describes the evaluations prioritized by NSF for FY 2022. The plan includes three sections:
- Section 1 presents the criteria used for selecting each evaluation;
- Section 2 lists the research questions that guide each evaluation; and
- Section 3 provides an overview of the background/rationale, timeline, technical approach, data sources, expected challenges and mitigating strategies, and use and dissemination plans for each research question.
NSF Evaluation Policy
September 30, 2020
This document outlines key principles guiding evaluation activities conducted or supported by NSF. It is based on current NSF evaluation principles (NSF's Evaluation Principles, 2016; NSF Information Quality Guidelines, 2018); aligned with NSF values of learning, excellence, inclusion, collaboration, integrity, and transparency (NSF Strategic Plan, 2018); and informed by legislation and guidance regarding federal evaluation and performance management activities (including the Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act of 2018, the Data Quality Act of 2001, and Office of Management and Budget guidance OMB M-20-12).
EAC provides centralized technical support and resources to generate and use evidence for decision making. EAC is committed to pursuing work that adds value and complements ongoing activities at, and capacity developed by, NSF Offices and Directorates.
To promote excellence in achieving the NSF mission by supporting a culture of evidence in decision making.
EAC is recognized as an exceptional team that provides (1) superior services to NSF staff and (2) national and global leadership in advancing rigorous evaluation of investments in science research.
- Engage in strategic planning
- Provide outstanding research and evaluation services to generate and use evidence
- Advance methods to evaluate investments in science and engineering research and innovation